Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Scoop from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

I figured the odds of The Brooklyn Ice Cream factory being good were slim to none. Despite its promising old-timey store front, the BICF is located smack in the middle of a grizzly, barren block in North Greenpoint, a stone's throw away from where Newton Creek splits Brooklyn from Queens. One unbearable August afternoon, I stopped in for a scoop -- and guess what? It turns out this place is totally great! [bxA]

The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory serves only eight classic flavors, all of which are made in house. My guess is that they must do a lot of business at local restaurants, as their shop was only a small part of a larger facility and there was a lot of loading and unloading of tubs of ice cream out of the front door while I was there.

I sampled the Peaches and Cream. This is a textbook version of the dessert -- smooth, supremely creamy, and studded with flecks of real peaches. Because they only make and serve a few flavors, I have a feeling everything is probably pretty good, and from the set up behind the bar, it looks like they're equipped to make some next-level sundaes.
I plan on going back before the end of the summer to sample the rest of the goods. If you find yourself ambling across the Pulaski bridge on a hot summer day, or if your Newton Creek fishing trip turns out to be a bust, I highly recommend cooling off with some ice cream in the cozy front room of the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

No comments: