Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Pizza at Grandaisy Bakery

For two weeks straight, the pizza from Grandaisy Bakery was my at-work, lunchtime jam. Grandaisy offers a wide variety of fresh baked pizzas, each with a thin, crispy crust. I think that many of the pizza toppings must be inspired by Italian-style vegetable side dishes. Let's take a tour, shall we? (All of the slices below are priced at either $3 or $3.25.) [bxA]


The zucchini slice is probably my favorite. The topping is a mixture of fresh zucchini, onions and gruyere. The combo is supremely savory, but cheesiness never overpowers the flavor of the greens.


The fennel slice is my second favorite. The cutting, slightly onioney taste of fennel is something you either love or you don't. I do. Onions and pecorino make up the rest of the topping.


The potato slice is great, even if it is essentially one starch stacked on top of another. When the potatoes are still moist and not overcooked, the slice tastes like potatoes au gratin. Onions and pecorino are also here in full force, as well as sprigs of fresh rosemary.


The pomodoro slice is a standard crust slathered in a thin layer of fresh tomato sauce -- no more, no less. Light and delicious.

The mushroom slice isn't my thing, but it's also not a total miss. The slice employs a thick layer of earthy cremini mushrooms, that, like fennel, you either love or you don't.

The pizza Bianca is the simplest of the set, and it's also Grandaisy's most famous pizza. The Bianca is cooked in six-foot long sheets and cut to order. Thicker and fluffier than the rest of the pizzas, a little bit of sea salt and rosemary go a long way to compliment the moist, airy dough. You can also detect the use of some good olive oil. A slice of the pizza Bianca is $1.50, and it is the size of a large fashion magazine.

There are still a few slices that I missed on my bakery-pizza odyssey. Grandaisy makes a Bianca with pecorino, a Bianca with fresh olives, and a Bianca studded with fresh artichokes, as well as a cauliflower slice, none of which I tried.

I will let you know when I cross these off my list.

Grandaisy Bakery
73 Sullivan Street

No comments: